Friday, December 9, 2011

1 down, 3 to go...And a Cushing's update

Before I start blabbering about vet school, here's an update on Mika: 
The tests came back, and Mika tested positive for Cushing's disease. Her uncontrolled Cushing's is what most likely caused her to have a stroke, which she is still recovering from. She is, however, eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom on her own; she just is a bit wobbly and a bit confused. However, she's made a lot of improvement since last week, and we're hoping that that continues! With regard to the Cushing's, we are going to start her on a chemotherapeutic drug called Lysodren (Mitotane) to treat the tumor that causes Cushing's.  Things are looking up for Mika, and she's doing well! We couldn't be happier at her progress.

On another note, now Josh (our 6 yr old yellow Lab) has what the vet thinks is the flu! He has been having diarrhea and some vomiting. So that's a joy. He goes back to the vet next week for a re-check/suture removal on his aural hematoma, too. 

At this moment in time (no absolute guarantees), there is nothing wrong with Lucky, the 11 yr old Mini Poodle. Hopefully he doesn't catch this flu or wind up with some other mysterious malady. At this point, there will be no Christmas due to exorbitant vet bills. Oh, the joys of pet ownership.

Now, on to first year vet school, where the dogs are always dead and morale is always low....
We had our first final today in Small Animal Gross Anatomy. It covered the arteries and nerves of the hind limb, the cranial nerves and their branches, cranial arteries, the eye, bones of the skull, teeth, and various miscellany from old exams. Needless to say, I'm glad that's over! 

Here's the final exam schedule for next week:
Monday: Microanatomy (which I should be studying for now, but am instead snapping pics of my bunny and blogging)
Tuesday: Cell Phys (let's hope I pass...)
Wednesday: Principles of Surgery 

Here's the deal with Principles of Surgery. First they lock us in a room and make us identify surgical instruments, along with functions, and answer practical questions. Then we demonstrate proper surgical scrubbing (my arms are already killing me!), gowning, gloving, and draping, all while maintaining sterility. For a break from this stress-fest before demonstrating suture patterns, our instructor provides a room full of puppies. Well, not FULL, exactly. But there is a room, and there are puppies in there. After we do some yoga breathing and swallow back some nervous vomit, we enter the area where we demonstrate suture patterns and hand ties in front of veterinary surgeons. And then, guess what? If we screw up at any point, we have to re-do it the next day! HOORAY! I can't wait for that moment when my hand accidentally hits the water faucet, or when my Lembert turns out looking like a Cushing/Connell instead. 

But after Micro, Cell Phys, and Surgery, I'm DONE. Done with the first semester of veterinary school, and 1/8th of the way through with my veterinary training. So even if my damn gown does touch the table and break sterility, or I forget what Descemet's membrane looks like, I'll live. I'll live, I'll pass, and I'll be back next semester.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Mika! My sister is a Pharm D at a vet compounding pharm and she said that Cushings is a relatively overlooked disease in older dogs so I am glad that you all found it and are able to treat it without problems thus far! My Boston is showing signs of hair loss and we are thinking she may have Cushings soon... Oh lordy. I read your schedule and know how you feel... I used to have so much room on my ipod until I filled it with pictures and videos of my rabbit when I should be studying hahahaha oh the joys of bunnies.

    ReplyDelete