Tuesday, November 8, 2011

It's almost time for second semester?!

Yesterday I registered for next semester's classes. Wow. I can't believe that I have almost made it through the first semester of vet school. It seems like I just got here, and I still don't feel 100% comfortable. Some days I can't even remember what classes I have! Needless to say, I'm a little shocked that it's already time to move into a whole new set of classes. Here's the schedule for Spring 2012:

VM512: Large Animal Anatomy-M,Tue,W,Th, F
VM520: Physiology-M,Tue,W,Th
VM521: Neuroscience-M,Tue,W
VM534: Immunology-Tue,W, Th
VM545: Pathology-Tue,F
VM580: Basic Nutrition-F
Total: 19 credits, plus electives

I'm not sure how correct this schedule is; they're always changing days and times on us. I'll keep everyone posted, and will put up the official schedule once I get it after Thanksgiving Break. I'm sure I'll be taking 1 or 2 electives next semester as well, but we don't sign up for those until mid-November. I'll be sure to write about those as well.

I suppose it would be useful to post the classes I'm currently taking, too. Here's the lineup for the first semester of first year:

Monday
Principles of Surgery (9-10 am)
Anatomy (10-11 am)
Cell Phys (11-12 pm)
MicroAnatomy (1-2 pm)
MicroAnatomy Lab (3:30-5pm)

Tuesday
Surgery Lab (8-10 am)-every other week
Anatomy Lab (10/10:30-12pm)
Cell Phys (1-2pm)
MicroAnatomy (2-3pm)
Ag.Animal Seminar (3-5)

Wednesday
Ag. Animal Lab (8-10am)-done for the semester
Anatomy Lab (10/10:30-12pm)
Anatomy (1-2pm)
MicroAnatomy (2-3pm)
Radiology (3-5pm)-optional; used to be an Ethics class that's over

Thursday
Anatomy Lab (8-10/10:30am)
Cell Phys (1-2pm)
Microanatomy Lab (3:30-5pm)

Friday
Anatomy Lab (8-10/10:30am)
Colic Team (12-1pm)-elective
Cell Phys (1-2pm)

So that's the current run-down on the classes I'm taking at the moment. Usually daily there is an activity/lecture/rounds from 12-1 to attend (usually with free lunch!).  I also have club activities, wet labs, and lectures a few times a week after classes; usually they are 2-3 hours per activity. 

There you have it! The schedule of a first year veterinary student! It's definitely hectic, and sometimes I'm at school for 12 hours. Not an exaggeration. But as you can see, some days I have plenty of breaks or get out early, so it's not too bad. 

I guess I should go study Cell Phys now...Thursday keeps creeping closer, and this study guide won't finish itself. Until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment