Wednesday, November 16, 2011

You think vet school sucks until...

This past week has been rough for me. Actually the past couple of weeks. First I didn't do too hot on my Anatomy exam, and barely passed. Then we got our Microanatomy exams back, and I didn't do as well as I thought I would, although I passed just fine. I feel like I've been in a constant state of disappointment for a few weeks now, and it's definitely wearing on me. I now have only to get my Cell Phys test back to finish off the feeling. Because I know that one definitely sucked. Needless to say, I'm ready for Thanksgiving Break. 


However, a visit from one of my classmates last night cheered me up, and also reminded me to suck it up. He's been having a hard time with school lately too, but is trying out a new approach: it's called NOT bitching. We are so lucky to be here; only 1/10 of the students that applied to be in the WSU Class of 2015 got in, and we are the privileged few. We don't have jobs that make us work for no money or in terrible conditions. We GET to learn and study what we're passionate about all day, every day. And we need to remember that when things are rough. 


That feeling was definitely on my mind tonight during an optional suture lab. Practicing all of my patterns on my suture block and on horse cadavers, I was reminded of what I'm REALLY doing here. Those suture patterns are what matter, not how many points I passed by on my exams. I passed. Move on. How amazing is it that I have the opportunity to learn how to practice medicine on animals? That's what I need to focus on and truly enjoy. Because I really am one of the lucky ones, to be here at this amazing vet school with incredible people all around me. So that's my new goal- be present.


Which I can start focusing on AFTER Thanksgiving Break. Because suture materials aren't allowed in a carry-on (TSA doesn't appreciate scalpel blades or needles very much, I hear), and I can't bring my cadaver dog with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment